Walton Heritage Festival Duckathon
A totally quackers event, the Walton Duckathon is a race between 800 plastic ducks on the River Thames!
Back again after a very successful premiere in 2019, the Duckathon is organised by 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts and takes place at 4pm, down at Walton Wharf, next to the Swan and Anglers pubs.
Ducks are sold for £2 each and numbers are distributed at random. Cash prizes are up for grabs for the first three ducks past the finishing line with remaining funds split between the Mayor’s charities and the 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts. Ducks will be available to by on the day at Walton Wharf and at the Heritage Festival Fair on Bridge Street.
Be sure to get your duck numbers before 3.30pm as the ducks start racing at 4pm!
‘Duckathon’ – Duck Race Rules 2021
In these rules ‘The Duckathon’ will be simply referred to as the ‘Duck Race’
- The event will be organised by members of 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts
- Plastic ducks will be floated down the river. People will be able to purchase duck numbers.
- Duck numbers will cost £1 each.
- Each ticket will bear a number linking it to a numbered duck.
- The ‘owner’ of the duck has nominal ownership of the duck for the duration of the race. The actual ducks remain in the custody of 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts.
- Prizes will be awarded to the “owners” of several ducks that float down the river and reach the finish quickest.
- Prizes to be awarded: 1st Place Duck= £100 cash, 2nd Place Duck = £50 cash, 3rd Place Duck = £20 cash
- This is an event aimed at raising money for charity. Those buying tickets need to accept that while the organisers will endeavour to ensure a fair race, there are a number of circumstances in which an element of luck will favour a particular duck or adversely affect other ducks. In particular:
- The organisers will endeavour to place all the ducks in the water at or about the same time and place.
- If a duck fails to enter the water appropriately it may have a reduced chance.
- Ducks may be carried by the current or the wind into the bank or another obstruction.
- If a group of ducks arrive at the finish together, it may be necessary to select winners and ignore similarly placed ducks.
- Should there be very little flow on the river or should there be a strong wind the organisers may need to assist some or all of the ducks to proceed to the finish.
- The organisers plan, as far as possible, to use ducks that are of the same size and shape in each race. If, however, ducks are different, they may have different characteristics and move at different speeds.
- There may be other unforeseen circumstances.
- It is the intention to start the duck race at 4.00pm on the day of the Walton Heritage Festival. In unforeseen circumstances this time and/or date could be changed.
- The race will be started by launching all the ducks at a point to be chosen depending on weather conditions and water flow on the day. The finishing line is intended to be at or near the far side of The Anglers pub. The precise position will depend on the flow of the river on the day. A device placed across the river by the marshals will mark the finish. These positions may change for unforeseen reasons.
- The organisers may disqualify any duck that is interfered with, or for any other reason, at their discretion.
- The organisers will try to contact all winning owners. The names of the winners will be placed on the website, social media and announced over the PA System on the day.
- Members of 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts will make decisions concerning the race and the dispersal of funds.
- Any disputes can be referred to the Group Executive Committee of 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts. Its decisions are final.
- The sale of tickets is arranged under the Gambling Act 2005. 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts is registered with Elmbridge Council for this event (Licence number 201600303), which will be conducted in accordance with the law.
- In the unlikely event that the duck race cannot be held on the Walton Heritage Festival day, the organisers reserve the right to either rearrange the date and time of the race or select the winners at random.
1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts is registered with the Charity Commissioners as Registered Charity No 305804
The money raised from this event will be divided between the Mayor’s charities and the 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts. No money collected in the Duck Race will be spent to benefit specific members of 1st Walton Viking Sea Scouts.